Welcome to the Smith Mountain Striper Club Website
The Smith Mountain Striper Club would like to welcome you to our home on the World Wide Web! It is our goal with this web-site to provide timely and useful information regarding the Club as well as the striped bass fishery on Smith Mountain Lake for both our existing and prospective members as well as the general public. You will find some sections here which require a password - these sections are for Club members only - we'd welcome to have you as a part of the Club and gain access to this content. However, we still want to make other useful information about Striper fishing and the stewardship of our fishery available to the general public so look for lots of other useful material here as well. Should you encounter any issues with the site (broken links, etc), or if you have any suggestions on how we can make the site a better place for striper anglers, please drop us a note via the Contact Us page.
2019 SMSC Perch Jerk - July 1 through September 15
What is this event about?
• To encourage fishing for species other than stripers during the summer months when catching and releasing stripers results in a high mortality rate for these fish.
• To encourage getting our youth involved in fishing. Perch jerking is fun!
• To publicize and encourage participation in and growth of Smith Mountain Striper Club.
Who can Enter?
• Anyone! Children can fish (encouraged) but to submit fish you must be at least 18 yrs. of age.
How does it Work?
• Entry fee $0 – For every 10 white perch submitted during the tournament dates, you will receive 1 drawing ticket.
- Not less than 5 perch must be submitted at a time. Any amount 5 or greater is fine.
- Fish submitted must be fresh, well-kept and packed in ice
- Fish must be whole, not filleted and a minimum of 8 “ long
- Fish must be packed in ice and submitted within 12 to 18 hours of catch
- Fish are submitted by calling one of the numbers below for the location nearest you:
-- A club member will meet you at the location, verify the catch, record your name, telephone number, email address, the date and the number of fish submitted.
-- There is no limit to the number of fish submitted or the number of times you submit fish, but you must have a minimum of 5 fish to submit.
-- The club member may reject any catch deemed suspect to freshness and/or mishandling.
-- The club member will transfer the catch to his/her cooler, then fillet and freeze the catch within 10 hours.
-- Drawing tickets will be issued on the day of the fish fry. You will receive 1 drawing ticket for every 10 fish submitted. You do not need to be present to receive your tickets, to be entered into the drawing or to win.
-- Fish will not be accepted before or after the tournament dates.
How does the Drawing Work?
• Smith Mountain Striper Club (SMSC) will put up $1,000 in prize money.
• At the fish fry 10 winning tickets will be drawn from the pool of tickets issued for the fish submissions.
• Only 1 winning ticket per individual will be awarded. Each of the winning tickets (10) will receive a $100 cash prize.
How does the Fish Fry Work?
• Who can come? Anyone!
• Where & When - Skelton 4-H Center 775 Hermitage Rd, Wirtz, VA 24184 September 21 from 1pm to 4pm
• Fish fry and drawing will be held rain or shine.
• Fish (the white perch caught and submitted during the tournament) will be fried up and served with all the fixins by SMSC members.
• For those individuals that submitted fish, there is no charge.
• For non-contributors of fish, the fish fry cost will be $8 per person payable at the Fish Fry. Children under 10 are free.
• There will be “door-prize” drawings and a 50/50 raffle.
Locations and Phone Numbers for Fish Submission
Note: If you cannot reach the primary number below for your location, please leave a message and call any of the other numbers.
To arrange for fish pick-up at the following locations, please call Craig at 540-520-6532:
• Penhook Minute Market
• Magnum Point Marina
• Shell Station in Burnt Chimney
• Westlake Kroger
To arrange for fish pick-up at the following locations, please call Khris at 540 529 7889:
• Vinton Kroger
• Stewartsville Ball Fields
To arrange for fish pick-up at the following locations, please call Jim at 540 871-2196:
• Westlake Bojangles
• SML State Park (at the entrance)
• Parkway Marina
• Moneta Library
• WaterWheel Marina